About Me

Monday, February 4, 2013

Monday Mini-Reviews: Isolation

First up!

Isolation by Dan Wells.

Okay, I'll admit, I don't understand the point to this book. I actually really liked Partials, the original story, so much that I'm counting down the days until the sequel.

You see, the story revolves around Huron, a character we barely met in Partials. I jumped between the two books pretty quickly so I still remembered her, though had I taken more time in between, I doubt I would have.

Honestly, I didn't learn anything. Everything about it could have been learned through the main series, maybe via Samm or a newly introduced Partial. An entire 75 page ebook? Uh, no.

I mean, I understand the point to these short stories/novellas more money, damn it to give the reader insight into the world. I just don't think Isolation worked on that account.

Serious, it's all about Huron infiltrating the Chinese Military with intermittent chapters of learning how she was created. Why not use Samm, who was actually a major character? In both Partials and the upcoming sequel, Fragments? I probably would have gleaned the same amount of information.

Opinion: Eh, brought nothing new I couldn't have learned from the main series, if done well.

Recommendation: Save your two bucks for Partials or Fragments.

Next week: Roar and Liv, a short story for Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi.

What? I'm keeping small!

No comments:

Post a Comment